What can you do to retain your privacy rights when searching online? Easy. Here are five ways of improving privacy when you use a search engine:
- Use a privacy-enhanced search engine – the easiest way to improve your search privacy is to use a privacy-enhanced search engine. Privado, is an example of one such search engine. It’s designed not to store search data, IP addresses or track you.
- Be careful when you search: You can improve privacy from day one by being cognizant of what data you enter into a search engine.
- Use the privacy options in your search engine: For example, in Google, you can set your search history to be deleted after three months (not ideal as it means it is still available during those months).
- Use a VPN BUT don’t connect to any accounts: A Virtual Private Network or VPN can be used to hide your internet use. However, login to an account like Google, then allows data correlation and the VPN becomes ineffective.
- Don’t log in when using a search engine: In general, it is best to not log in to online accounts like Google when performing a search.